A Fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since 1997 and former Associate Judge of the 245th District Court, Harris County, Texas (1998-2000), Patricia J. Lasher has been certified in the practice of family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization since 1992. As a litigator, her representation has included divorce, disputed property valuations and divisions of property, contested custody and child support matters, paternity, grandparent rights, common law marriage. With trial and settlement experience, alternative dispute resolution training and service on the bench, she also brings valuable insight to her practice as a mediator and arbitrator. Texas Monthly has named her a Super Lawyer each year since 2005. Ms. Lasher has been rated AV (their highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell for more than 17 years. She completed mediation training at the A.A. White Alternative Dispute Resolution Institute of the University of Houston, collaborative law training in 2003 and the AAML/ Harvard Negotiation Training program in Boston in September 2006.
A former member of the faculty of the ABA’s Trial Institute and the Houston Trial Institute Family Law at South Texas College of Law, she lectures as a faculty member of the annual AAML Institute for New Associates in Chicago. She served as a member of the planning committee of ABA’s Families First symposium, Baltimore, 2010. Ms. Lasher has presented papers and participated in trial demonstrations for the Family Law Section of the ABA, the State Bars of Texas, Colorado, Kentucky and South Carolina, along with the UH Law Center, South Texas College of Law, the ABA, and AAML.
Ms. Lasher has been a Director of the Family Law Section of the HBA, a member of the State Bar of Texas Continuing Legal Education Committee, and a board member of the Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program and of Lone Star Legal Aid. In addition to the State Bar of Texas and the Houston Bar Association, in both of which she is a Life Fellow, Ms. Lasher is a member of the American Bar Association, the AAML and the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers. Ms. Lasher is a past President of the University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association, former chair of the Houston Public Library Board; she is a member of the advisory board of INPRINT. Past board service has included the Urban Libraries Council, the Contemporary Arts Museum, Houston Child Guidance Center, Friends of St. Luke’s Nursing and Greater Houston Women’s Foundation.
- Family Law
- Collaborative Law
- Super Lawyers: 2003, 2005 – 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 1997 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Bar Association, Family Law Section, Life Fellow
- State Bar of Texas, Life Fellow
- American Bar Association
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Fellow
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialist
- University of Houston Law Center Alumni Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Texas, 1986
U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1987
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, B.A.
Past Employment Positions
- 245th District Court, Harris County, Texas, Associate Judge, 1998 – 2000
- Author, Family Law Issues
- Faculty Member, American Bar Association’s Trial Institute Family Law, 1992 – 2003
- Faculty Member, AAML Institute for New Associates, Chicago, 2003-present
Pro Bono Activities
- St. Luke’s Nursing
- Contemporary Arts Museum
- Greater Houston Women’s Foundation
- Lone Star Legal Aid