Skip to main content


My children do not want to see my ex-spouse. They throw a fit every time he/she comes to pick them up during their right of possession. Can I refuse to allow my ex-spouse access to my children?

Probably not. The failure to follow an order of possession or access could subject you to criminal contempt, civil contempt or both. Plus, you may have to pay for your ex-spouse’s attorney fees and costs. However, depending on you and your children’s reasons, you may be able to seek a protective order and/or a modification of the possession order.